On Air Now Nick Osborne 10:00am - 3:00pm Teddy Swims - Lose Control Schedule

Isle Of Wight Tandoori Vows To Makes Improvements After One-Star Hygiene Rating

An Isle of Wight Indian restaurant — which has been visited by billionaire businessman Richard Branson and has his photo on the wall — has apologised to its customers after being slapped with a one-star food hygiene rating.

‘Major improvement’ was necessary at Bahar Tandoori, in Cowes, after inspectors found “generally poor standards” and the same issues noted during previous visits at an examination in October.

An Isle of Wight Council recently published report has revealed the extent of the problems, including small flies in the storage area, poor cleaning standards and a risk of chemical contamination as decorating equipment and paint were stored among crates of peeled onions.

In a statement, Bahar Tandoori said it was unwavering in its dedication to upholding the highest food safety and hygiene standards and was surprised by the one-star rating.

It said:

“We apologise for any inconvenience caused by this. Our customers wellbeing is paramount to us and we have taken swift and decisive corrective actions to not only address concerns but to exceed hygiene standards.

“Your safety and satisfaction remain our absolute priorities and we want you to dine with confidence.”

The improvements made to the High Street restaurant have been noted after environmental health officers carried out a follow-up inspection in October.

Bahar Tandoori said it has also paid for a re-inspection.

In its original inspection, council officers found rice cooling in two large, deep containers left out at ambient temperatures for four hours.

High-risk foods in cooked meats had been out at ambient temperatures since the restaurant opened through to its closure, when they shouldn’t have been kept out for longer than four hours.

The general standard of cleaning was poor, inspectors found, with a dirty hand wash basin and a heavy build up of food debris in the microwave, fridges and freezers.

A small mincer was also found to have dried raw meat stuck to it and mould was growing on the sealant at the hand wash basin.

Food containers were used for both raw and ready-to-eat food without adequate cleaning and disinfection, which increases the risk of cross-contamination and food poisoning.

There was also a risk of cross-contamination as a dirty tea towel had been placed on top of dough; a crate of peeled onions was being stored on the floor; and two containers of raw prawns in the chest freezer were uncovered, both with liquid in.

An open container of mint sauce was found with a best before date of 7/21, which should should have been refrigerated after opening.

Netting over an open window was unattached on one side which had left a gap through which pests could enter.

Inspectors also had health and safety concerns about a cable hanging down from lighting underneath a canopy which was sealed at the end with tape, but was told it was not a live wire.

The restaurant was told a rusty can opener and badly scored and discoloured chopping boards should be thrown away.

The restaurant said:

“In this challenging time, we implore our valued community to stand by us. Your continued support means the world to us.”

More from Isle of Wight News